It is unusual to contract mono as an adult, but Derek has proven it can be done. Headaches, body aches, and fatigue are his worst symptoms. He naps but doesn't feel much better when he wakes up. He gets out of the house now and then for chiropractor appointments and even his first-ever massage. He took a chance and went to a meeting at work today. But for the most part, he has been home with me this week. What a strange start to our new year!
Derek having mono is not the only strange thing happening around here. There is a decision that needs to be made in this new year that is weighing on our hearts. It sort of fell into our lap this week. We are asking God for a miracle, and if the miracle doesn't come, we are asking Him to show us our next steps. (I wrote that part for you, Braylen!) It is not a health concern, and it is not a move. But it has the potential to bring much change into our lives. That's all I'll say about it for now.
I'm happy with how the boys have adjusted to their school routines again. One new thing we're doing this semester is not allowing them to play video games on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. Screen time has gotten out of control around here. I hope this helps. Notice I said no video games. That includes Wii, Nintendo DS, iPad, and iPod games. They can still earn the privilege of watching TV on those days, but not without doing their homework, reading, and practicing their piano first. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. This is not Christmas break anymore! :)
Also, next week we'll be starting a new routine at bedtime. It involves scripture memory and prayer. I got this idea from my mom, who used it on me when I was a kid. :) More on that in my next post.
To wrap this up, here are a few pictures from last week. We invited our oldest niece to spend the night and the kids had lots of fun during their cousin sleepover. I think it was the perfect way to end a fun Christmas break! :)
| She even made a craft while she was here! Kaleb and Aaron taught her how to make this cool snowflake. |
| They spent a lot of time playing outside. Here they are chopping ice and looking for shapes of the 50 states. |
| Grampy's favorite treat, Suzy Q's. This is our last box, and our last treat. We cut it into thirds. |
| Brothers. I love to see them snuggled up on the couch together. |
| Derek with our youngest niece. She brought him a balloon and her mommy brought him some cookie bars! The balloon says, "Some people will do anything for attention!" :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment