Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Extreme February

It's hard to believe it now, but Braylen wanted to wear shorts this past Sunday. It was 63 degrees, so why not? Tonight we are in the path of a big snow storm. No school tomorrow, and maybe not on Friday either. What a week. I would welcome the snow if it didn't make Derek's job harder. I decided long ago that since I can't do anything about that, what I CAN do is try to make things fun at home. So tonight the boys and I had a movie night with the Dukes of Hazzard and bowls of ice cream. Tomorrow we will have monkey bread for breakfast and fill our day with games, movies, and playing in the snow of course. :) Maybe Derek will be able to join in on some of our fun. I hope so!

Now for a little bit of catch-up...
A few weeks ago we had our 100th day of school. Braylen and Kaleb didn't do anything special in school that day, but my little Aaron did. :) His assignment was to bring in 100 of something...legos, froot loops, rocks, beads...whatever he wanted. Right away he told me he wanted to bring in 100 rubber bands. And he wanted to tie them together to make a sling shot. What a fun idea, and it's so like Aaron to think of it!

Aaron stood on one end of our yard with his sling-shot...

...while Derek stood at the other end!
When they stood in the street they stretched those rubber bands the width of 2 houses and yards! On the count of 3 they let go and those rubber bands came together quicker than my eyes could see. Aaron also did this with his brothers in the house. It brought MUCH entertainment to our boys for about a week. It was a huge hit at school as well. Aaron's teacher let him take it outside to show his classmates how it works. He liked that a lot. :)

Braylen traveled with his youth group to a conference called Dare2Share earlier this month. He texted me a couple of times that weekend, and called from the hotel before going to bed. I loved hearing from him while he was away. :) He had lots of fun, experienced corporate worship with hundreds of his peers, and learned more about what it means to share his faith. He also enjoyed his city experience of walking everywhere!

Remember those valentine cookies I made for my boys? I forgot to mention I had a helper. :)
Aaron loves working with dough.
I already know what my next post will be, but for now--funnies!

Kaleb's version of workman's compensation: "workman's com-nen-station." No matter how many times I tried to correct him, he kept saying it his way. :)

Another deep thought from Aaron: "I'm glad my tummy doesn't have taste buds. I think of that a lot."

One day I told Aaron how cute his dimples are. He didn't really like that. Later that day I was trying to remember something I had forgotten, and Aaron said, "You were probably going to talk about my dentures again!" :)

While I made tomato soup Aaron asked, "What IS that? Is that watermelon soup?" I told him it was tomato, to which he replied, "That's even more disgusting!"

Last week Aaron got in the car after school and repeated the same phrase over and over, and he did it again at home. This is it: "Jump, jump, wiggle your rump, and walk it out like Granny." I have no idea why he had that in his head all day but it drove me nuts! Thank you Ice Age movies! :)

And that is all I have for tonight!


No comments: