Tuesday, February 11, 2014

For the Love of My Valentines

I am not a hater of Valentine's Day. I like the pink and red hearts, the pink and red M&M's, and the cute little cards exchanged at school. I like setting aside one day to celebrate the loves I have in my life. The love of my husband, the love of my children, and the love of my family and friends.

That being said, I don't buy into the whole idea of going overboard, either. Expecting a dozen roses and dinner for 2 just because it's February 14th? I learned long ago to celebrate the event--no matter the date you celebrate it on. Derek and I are blessed with days at home together when he is off work and the kids are in school, so we don't feel like we need an evening "out." Especially on Valentine's Day--when everything is crowded and prices are high.

So what do I like on Valentine's Day? To be thought of. To be noticed. To be remembered. So that is what I try to do for my men at home, big and little. :) Like I do every year, I will make them loads of heart-shaped cookies. What better way to treat the boys in my life than with cookies? :)

Notice Ginger is photo-bombing my picture!
What do the boys in my life think of Valentine's Day? Not much, honestly. And the opinions I do hear from them are filled with moans and groans. I've discovered that a man's dislike of Valentine's Day starts when he is very young. He is given the assignment of writing Valentine's Day cards to everyone in his class, and by the way--he has to write them all in cursive because his teacher says that's great practice. He tries to pick out the boring and non-affectionate cards for the girls in his class, just in case they read the cards and get any ideas in their heads that he likes them. (He doesn't.) These are some of the things I heard Aaron say while he was completing this oh-so-fun assignment.

"The only thing I like about Valentine's Day is the party at school. I don't even like the party that much, but it takes up a school day. It's really my least favorite party all year."

"Do I have to give a card to this girl, Mom? She already likes me and I don't like her."

"Ugh, how do you make a cursive upper-case T? Or B? Or H? UGH!!!"

I finally left him alone at the table and let him work out his frustrations in solitude. Kaleb is absolutely LOVING the fact that in 6th grade this dreaded chore is no longer required. Braylen had to make Spanish valentines for Spanish class. He did the bare minimum to get by, using red scratch paper from Aaron's craft tote and taped old Halloween candy to them.

Aaron redeemed the holiday a little bit with his Valentine's box, which Derek helped him make. In Aaron's mind, this is the ONLY good thing about Valentine's Day. :)

Awesome tank, Aaron!
Oh, how I love to laugh with my boys and my husband over this silly holiday. I also try and teach my boys that one day they WILL have a special girl in their life, and they better let her know they are thinking of her, noticing her, and remembering her--yes, even on Valentine's Day. And they can practice with me. :) Right, Derek?!!

1 comment:

Eric said...

I literally laughed out loud when I read that Braylen used old Halloween candy. That is great!!