Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Brand New Day

A couple of years ago I heard this song. It made me kind of sad, because it speaks of coming out on the other side of a trial. And on that day, we were right in the middle of a trial. The other side was not even on the horizon yet. But I tucked it away in my memory and told myself that when we made it to the other side, I would listen to that song with joy and gratitude.

Well. On June 23rd I took Aaron to his neurologist for a routine 6 month check up. We squeezed it in between DC and the grandparent trip. Derek had to work, so Aaron and I made the 4 hour round trip drive by ourselves. At this appointment his doctor told me it was time to wean Aaron off of his seizure medicine. Not decrease the dose like we've been blessed to do in the past. But over three weeks, take it away completely. Ooookay!


No more pills. After working so hard to get the medicine and dosage just right--it was time to take it away. Was that scary? Oh yeah! Exciting? Definitely! Aaron has been seizure free for over two years. His 24 hour EEG was totally clear of any seizure activity or abnormalities. Can the seizures return? Yes. Our doctor gave Aaron about a 30% chance of that happening. But he also pointed out to me that he has a 70% chance of the seizures never coming back. 

So, we took a leap of faith with our doctor's blessing. We began decreasing Aaron's pills. Today is the first day of no pills for Aaron! The pill boxes are in the cabinet. On Saturday nights I no longer need to spend time loading up a new week's supply of pills. This is our BRAND NEW DAY!!!

The song that used to make me sad is now constantly running through my head with thanksgiving. If you want to hear it, click here. :) (This link actually plays two songs together. The song I'm thinking of starts 2 minutes and 42 seconds into this link.) There's a phrase in there that talks about coming out to play. When Aaron was really struggling with his seizures--he couldn't follow along in a reading group or in music class--I would long for him to be able to simply "come out and play." And now he does. :) Hallelujah!

Sing hallelujah
The sun’s breaking through
To take back the dark sky
And make everything new

We knew joy was coming
But we just had to wait
And now we sing hallelujah
'Cause it’s a brand new day

So let’s sing hallelujah
The dark night is gone
Creation is singing
So come join in the song

The Father is calling
To come out and play
So we’ll sing hallelujah
'Cause it’s a brand new day

Sing hallelujah
It’s a brand new, beautiful day

Splashing it up with his best friend :)



No comments: