Saturday, October 8, 2011

Virginia {Days 4 & 5}


On Sunday we drove to Colonial Williamsburg. I'm so glad we included this in our trip. Kaleb is our history buff, after all. :) On our way, we drove through lots of traffic and saw an accident happen behind us. I'm so thankful my dad stopped our car in time, the car behind us stopped in time, and we weren't the ones to hit the Porsche, which was 2 cars behind us. The day turned out to be a perfect fall day, and even the rain stopped when we arrived. To reach Williamsburg we needed to cross the Hampton Roads Bridge/Tunnel. We thought that was pretty cool. One minute we're driving on a long bridge, and the next we're entering a tunnel to drive beneath the water. Then we pop back out on the bridge, and eventually reach land.

Before our trip, I found this website for Kaleb to explore. It helped him understand a little bit about Williamsburg. Our boys have had more fun with this website! You can find it here.

Williamsburg was not crowded at all, making it even more enjoyable for us. We toured the capitol, governor's palace, ammo magazine, and many other buildings. We walked a lot! I think I'll let my pictures tell the rest of the story.

getting a good look at the capitol building

standing beneath a 200+ year old oak tree

a view of Duke of Gloucester Street

Grammy & Kaleb are locked in and not too happy about it :)

my turn to be locked in with Kaleb

Kaleb & Grampy check out the fire engine. I'm sure my dad's glad he never had to use an "engine" like this one.

The Governor's Palace from the front...

...and from the back

pathway leading from the palace to a canal...I love it when the treetops intersect
All in all, we had a really fun time in Williamsburg. Because of our late breakfast, we skipped lunch. We were pretty hungry by 5:00! We walked to the merchant's market and found Kaleb a place that serves macaroni & cheese. I wanted another Carolina pulled pork BBQ sandwich, and was happy to see this restaurant--Stephano's Pizza & Subs--had it on their menu. :) We were all happy to sit down and rest our tired feet!

Of course we couldn't leave Williamsburg without dessert. Lattes for the adults and ice cream for Kaleb. Mmmm. :)


Day 5 means it's time to go home. After such a fun and full trip, we felt like we had been gone for a week!
ready to leave for the airport and say goodbye to our car
I knew our first plane ride would be fun--Grammy and Grampy were with us. Saying goodbye in Chicago was hard. Mom bought us lunch and 2 cookies for the plane, and then she and dad left. Kaleb and I had one more flight, so we used our time on that flight to do his homework. Our travels went smoothly, and we arrived home earlier than expected. Braylen didn't greet us with hugs. Instead, he blurted out, "Mom, you're home early! I haven't had time to vacuum yet!" Hmm, Daddy gave Braylen a job to do after school. I finally got my hug when he finished vacuuming. :)

I'm very thankful for our trip. I'm blessed with parents who see the importance of building memories with their grandsons. (and daughter!) :) Mom and Dad, where do you think we should take Aaron when he is 9 years old?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about Aaron,too. Will we go in October? We've been west and east, so that leaves north or south if we want to be different.
Meeting a family member might help us decide. We have a bit of time to think about it. This is a great record of our trip. I'm so glad that you wrote about all of this!