Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

Our boys love to play with a variety of toys. Hotwheels, legos, blocks, army men, and nerf guns are some of their favorites. But there is one toy that stands above the rest. One toy that tugs at my heart strings when I remember the days our boys played with it. One toy that each boy enjoyed to the fullest, although I believe Braylen enjoyed it the most.

The Jeep.

Brand new jeep for our 4 year old Braylen
Last night we gave away our beloved jeep. Honestly, I thought we would have this toy forever. Back in the days when our boys drove it for hours, towed toy cars behind it with bungee cords, went off-roading in the dirt field with it...I never imagined we would ever give it away.

But little boys grow up and the jeep sat unused on our front porch. Through wind and rain and snow and hail...it sat there. During it's prime we replaced the battery and even all 4 tires. Derek fixed the wiring when it shorted out. That's what happens to a favorite toy--it gets used and worn out and needs fixing. And fix it we did. But for the past year or so, nobody's played with it. Braylen and Kaleb are too big, and Aaron finds other things to do outside. Like collect rocks, frogs, and bugs. :)

So last night, Aaron took a drive down memory lane and drove the jeep around our circle one last time. As I watched him, I remembered days with my little boys like they were yesterday. I could see Braylen strapped in the driver's seat giving Kaleb his first ride. I could see them driving with our new puppy Ginger in their laps. I could see Kaleb at the wheel with little Aaron as his passenger. I could see myself teaching all 3 of them how to steer it around the circle, teaching them to keep it on the sidewalk and not drive it off the curb. So many moments, so many miles. And even though it's just a toy, it's not just a toy to me. It's years spent with my little boys. It's summer in our driveway. It's the sound of fun and little-boy freedom.

Goodbye, old friend. Thanks for the memories. :)

They're big enough now to carry the jeep that used to carry them!

Kaleb's all knees in the driver's seat now.

Our big boys and their jeep

Braylen still likes to give his brothers a ride.
Hold on!
Next time we need to teach them how to drive, they will be 15 going on 16. I think I'll let Daddy handle that. :)

3 comments:

becca lacock said...

that is precious.:) love seeing your boys, they are so handsome! :)
your post made me shed a tear. what a mix of emotions to watch our little ones growing up. :) thank you for sharing this sarah.:)

Dad/Grampy said...

Wow, Great memories and what fun to see the pics, THANKS!! Say, in the last pic, is Braylen red in the face due to being so emotional in the moment or straining himself holding back on the awesome power of the Jeep as Kaleb put the pedal to the medal?!? :))

Uncle Eric said...

I ALWAYS wanted a little vehicle like that when I was little. Tell Braylen, Kaleb, and Aaron that they're extra lucky, and that maybe I've always been a little jealous of their ride :)

I count myself lucky to be able to have a little peek into your perspective as you reflect on life with your boys. It reminds me to be conscious of the moments that are passing by right now, one day at a time.