Monday, August 25, 2014

The Golden Morning

It's not easy for me to wake up early to take Braylen to school for morning band practice. I enjoy the quiet mornings spent with him as he gets ready for the day, but that's about all I enjoy. I'm a major night owl...and I majorly despise early mornings. However, August 25th was different.

First it was dark like it always is. Then we heard thunder and saw lightning. In the morning? We never get thunderstorms around here at 6am. Hardly ever. Okay, it's just a typical storm, I thought. Nope. A few sprinkles fell, it stayed dark and stormy in the west, and the sun began to color the sky in the east. And it was still thundering and lightning outside. So weird. Braylen took me along to band--that is my role these days, the passenger seat--and then I drove myself home. Heading east, it felt like driving through liquid gold. When I turned onto our street I pulled over to take this picture. It was unlike anything I've ever seen before.

I took this picture first.

Then I took this one a few minutes later.

The streets were gold. The air all around was colored gold. I woke Kaleb and Aaron up a little early so they could see this for themselves. A dark blue stormy sky to the west, pure gold to the east, and a double rainbow in between.


Of course pictures never capture things exactly as they were. At least my pictures don't. But at least it's something to help me remember this morning. Pink, red, and purple sunrises are pretty too, but NOTHING I've ever seen compares to this golden morning. It's the one time I've been glad to be up early. :)

Changing topics...
This Thursday Aaron and I are flying to San Diego!!! It's his turn for his grandparent trip and I get to go with him. :) We chose San Diego because I have a cousin getting married, and who doesn't love Southern California?! I'm excited for him to swim in the ocean, visit Sea World, and discover all of the extended family he never knew he had. My parents and I never intended to make this a tradition for all of the boys when they were 9 or 10, but it's turned out to be a really great idea. Braylen and Kaleb loved their trips. I expect Aaron will too. :)

Before we leave there is much to do. There always is. But tonight I'm just thinking of my boys' relationships with each other and how thankful I am for each one. I'm thinking of our everyday moments and our big moments, and how thankful I am for those too. And how one golden morning helped me appreciate getting up early every day...well, maybe that's stretching the truth a bit. :)

A big moment--our new driver!

Kaleb and Aaron watch Ginger eat her supper. One of many everyday moments.

Talking to his aunt while Derek and Kaleb work in the garage

Taking things apart and using their tools.

No comments: