August 28th finally arrived and we were all packed and ready for our adventure! Aaron and I drove 5 minutes to our little airport--so easy and so awesome. Going through security was not new for Aaron, thanks to our trip to DC this summer. Seems like every building there has a security line. Here at the airport they needed to look at Aaron's math textbook. I bet he was hoping he would have to leave it behind. :) Nope, it came with us!
 |
| Here's our cute little plane! |
He is SO excited to fly and be old enough to remember it! Once we flew above the clouds it surprised him to see the sun and blue sky. Pretty neat life lesson there...
 |
| A little chilly on the plane |
 |
| Photographer Aaron |
He took lots of pictures from the sky. My favorite memory of this plane ride was taking off and seeing Derek standing at his parked police cruiser waving goodbye to us. Only in small town America! I felt very loved, watching my husband send us off with a wave like that.
The flight attendant asked if Aaron would like to see the cockpit and talk to the pilots. Of course he did! When we landed in Denver she asked everyone to wait while Aaron and his mom made their way to the cockpit. Cool! He even got to sit at the controls. I was amazed they let us do that, and even more surprised I was allowed to take pictures!
 |
| His smile was not a cheesy one for the camera. :) |
Dunkin Donuts and coffee in Denver tasted so good, and Aaron had fun on the moving walkways. Before too long we boarded our plane to San Diego. This plane was much bigger, with Andre the pronghorned antelope painted on the tail fin. (We flew Frontier Airlines.) Aaron took more pictures and did some homework. He
really loved flying. If you ask him about his trip he will tell you he loved flying the most.
I loved landing, since it meant we were finally in one of my favorite places on earth--San Diego, California! My aunt and cousin picked us up at the curb and we met up with my parents and my uncle near the water. We planned to visit the USS Midway this afternoon. No resting allowed! :)
 |
| We watched some of the tall ships line up for the tall ship parade this weekend. |
I find it funny that as we walked up to the Midway, my cousin Katherine received a call from our cousin Daniel, who was working on the Midway that day. I think he was working on their air conditioning system. We didn't know he would be there, let alone see us walk from the parking lot. I guess San Diego is just like our small town back home--ha!
 |
| USS Midway |
On board the aircraft carrier we carried headsets to listen to descriptions of what we were seeing. Aaron filled out a Jr. Ranger pamphlet to earn his "wings." The flight deck was our favorite part.
 |
| In a control room of some sort |
We toured the captain's bridge and this is one of the views from there. I liked the porthole effect.
 |
| Peek! |
 |
| Grampy pinned on Aaron's wings. |
We stayed pretty much until closing. That evening there was a gala event on board, complete with red carpets and white roses everywhere. It was for the survivors of the Battle of Midway, for which this aircraft carrier was named. I thought that was pretty neat.
We made a stop at Costco on our way home to my aunt and uncle's house. By now Aaron and I were pretty tired and hungry. Perfect time to FaceTime with Kaleb! That kept Aaron entertained until we were back in the car. :)
All settled in and feeling at home, we had a yummy salad for dinner. Aaron, Grammy, Grampy, me, Aunt Beth, Uncle Wally, cousin Justin, and cousin Katherine--what a crew! :) We ate and talked and laughed and looked forward to our times together. When I think of all we did on this day, I am so proud of Aaron. He is a fun boy to travel with! :) Thank you to my awesome parents for this trip!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment