Monday, November 30, 2009

Gr8 to be 8

A pile of presents,

a favorite toy gun,
a BRAND new bike,


a football cake,
all add up to one happy Kaleb!

As busy as life is around here these days, Kaleb sure did have fun turning 8! He opened one present before school--an Eagles shirt that he could wear all day long. After school he told me, "When I was working on my math today, I just kept looking down at my shirt." :) I wonder if he got any math done? It was tough to convince him to take that shirt off at bedtime. Daddy picked the boys up after school, and we enjoyed a visit from Kaleb's cousins as he opened up the rest of his birthday gifts. Aaron took special care this year to give Kaleb "extra" presents. Like a package of gift tags hidden in another gift. And a small gift bag filled with more gift tags and a gingerbread man bookmark. :) He also put a bow on each present and made his own gift tags...Aaron sure did make Kaleb's packages that much more special. Some of the ways I made the day special for him: red balloons tied to the mailbox, birthday message written on the bathroom mirror, gifts picked out with great care, favorite meatball supper, and chocolate cake to top it all off. Birthdays aren't just for the child. They're for the mother too. :)

November 30th is an eclectic day of sorts. I have halloween candy on my counter, turkey placemats on my table, birthday decorations in my living room, and Christmas music playing on the radio. But if I allow myself to go back 8 years, all the clutter clears away and I can see us holding our new baby, Kaleb Matthew. All 9 pounds, 10 ounces of him! Red skin, blond hair, with a candy cane hat on his head. I wondered how I would be a mother to two little boys. Would I have enough love for both of them? Funny thing, it all worked out one day at a time. And it still is. :)

Happy Birthday Kaleb. You bring your parents such delight! You're a patient brother, placed in the middle, able to play the role of little brother at times and big brother at other times. You say the funniest things without trying to be funny. We love you gr8-ly. :)

No comments: