Thursday, November 5, 2009

Lunches With Aaron

This is my third (and last) year of daily one-on-one lunches with Aaron. My older 2 are in school, and my husband can't come home for lunch. So Aaron and I are on our own. When all 3 of my boys were little, I used to wish for these days I'm enjoying now. They are pretty great. Yesterday I swirled some ketchup and mustard together to dip a corn dog in and Aaron said it looked like a seashell. He demanded (cutely) that I take a picture of it! Hooray for digital cameras. :) Every now and then Aaron and I go out to lunch "just because." Today was one of those days.

While driving away from preschool today, Aaron asked if we could go out to lunch. Of course I said yes, and then I asked him where he'd like to go. He replied, "King Burger!" Otherwise known as Burger King. :) While we were eating our hamburgers, Aaron pointed to the sesame seeds on his bun and said, "What are these things? Are they hamburger seeds?" Hee hee. :)

Aaron is quite a talker. He has many thoughts running through his mind at any given moment. When I actually listen to what he has to say I come away thinking, "This kid is so much smarter than I give him credit for." He pays attention to everything. Like one day he heard a song on the radio (which was turned down low and just background noise). It has this phrase: "Impossible is not a word; it's just a reason for someone not to try." Aaron says, "Impossible is too a word!" Anyway, one of the things he said at lunch today was that we need to buy a bluegill TV. Hmm. He adamantly said he heard Daddy and I talking about a bluegill TV and that we were thinking of buying one. Now, we DO need a new TV at our house. But I'm quite certain there's no such thing as a bluegill TV. I finally figured out he meant blu-ray player. This is how our conversation spiraled from there:

A: what's a blu-ray player?
M: it plays movies, and looks clearer than dvds.
A: grampy needs that. his eye-sees (eyesight) is having problems. his ears are having problems too. he's just having problems all over!
M: ooookay, but we're not getting a blu-ray player. dvds are fine with us.

That was my lunch with Aaron today. I'm sure my dad is glad to know Aaron thinks his vision and hearing are failing. :) Still, I loved our conversations and his chattiness. I will miss this next year. Good thing I'll be able to take him out of school now and then for some more lunch dates. Many times they are the highlight of my day.

No comments: