Derek's beloved grandpa went home to be with the Lord this past week. A man who loved the outdoors, Grandpa instilled that same love in Derek. Fishing, boating, hunting, camping. . .Grandpa's influence is in all of it. He also loved to laugh. Oh, I will never forget his laugh! He adopted me as one of his own, and for the first time in my life, I had a grandpa invest in me. He loved me for who I was, loved interacting with my kids, and literally lifted us up in prayer every morning. He'd give me the biggest bear hugs, kiss my cheek, and say the exact same thing to me every time we were together. He'd hold onto my arms and say, "Sarah, you just keep getting prettier and prettier every time I see you." Isn't that what grandpas are for? I was robbed of my own Grandpa as a 6 year old girl. The thief? Colon cancer. It left me with fragments of childish memories, and I always wished for more. Joining Derek's family gave me the unexpected gift in the person of his grandpa. I will miss you so much Grandpa Stan--but I will look for you in my own sons as they grow and mature into young men. 
Great-Grandpa & Kaleb
Grandpa used to look at my little boys and ask, "Don't you wonder what they're thinking?" Now he's in heaven and he knows the answer to that question. :) He has eternity ahead of him to find out.
No comments:
Post a Comment