Saturday, May 2, 2009

Speed of Life

Wow, lately I feel like I'm running as fast as I can. May is BUSY! So many things to look forward to this month, so many changes ahead of us. School is turning into more of a party than school--assemblies, flower planting, talent shows, field trips, and parties galore. Friends are having birthday parties, Cub Scouts is going out with a bang, and track meets keep us traveling on the weekends. Speaking of track meets--Braylen had his first one today and it was so much fun! Derek is his very own "personal trainer," and I don't know who had more fun: father or son? What a beautiful day to experience such a fun "first" for Braylen. He medaled in two out of three events, which boosted his spirits I think. I always knew that boy could run--he's been keeping me on my toes for almost 10 years now! His nickname at school is Speedy, and he lived up to it today. :)


Awana wrapped up this past week, and I enjoyed seeing my Cubbie, Sparky, and T & T kids recognized for finishing their books. I will also enjoy a slower-paced Wednesday evening. :) Our puppy search is moving right along, and we just might find our dog very soon. While I have my hopes up for a certain litter, I am praying for unity in my decision with Derek. I think June would be a great month to become dog owners--but I've learned that my ways are just that--mine. I need to be ever-mindful of God's plan for our family, our budget, and our time.



This took lots of time--but it was time well-spent with my boy.


Some funnies before I end this post. Friday night I made one of our family's favorite suppers: taco ring. But I was feeling adventerous, and I decided to switch things up a bit. When we sat down at the table, Derek commented on how good this particular taco ring looked. Little did he know what I had done. :) Once everyone was at least half-way through their meal, I made my little announcement. I said, "This taco ring was not made with any ground beef. What do you think it's made out of?" The boys guessed deer, chicken, turkey, pig--even lion. Ha! That was Aaron's guess. :) I turned to Derek and he guessed elk. Yep! Some friends of ours hunt elk, and she told me it tastes like beef. She was so right! Derek didn't know I had any of it in our freezer, so even he was surprised. I felt super-successful when Kaleb made this comment: "That would be cool if we had 2 tummies--then we could eat more!"


Finally, as our family lives out this speedy month of May, here is how Aaron feels about the whole concept of time. He asked me this: "Mommy, has it been 1 hour since the world was made?" I looked at him like he was nutty. He recovered and said, "100 hours, right? 200?" How can a child know the 10 commandments, the fruit of the spirit, and sign language to a handful of praise songs, and yet think the world was made an hour ago? I just love to see my son as a work in progress. It must be exactly how God sees me.

No comments: