Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wednesdays With Kaleb

Here we are in the middle of the week already! Today was my last Wednesday to help in Kaleb's class. As the school year winds down, my weekly volunteer time is ending as well. While I'm definitely not meant to be a teacher, I've enjoyed helping in Kaleb's class so much. Sometimes Kaleb would be waiting at the window for me as I walked down the hall towards his class. Other times he'd hear me open the door and he'd sneak a smile my way as he finished his math paper. Oh, how I will treasure these memories from his first grade year. He hugs me in front of his friends and he picks out his special purple pen for me to use. He says Wednesdays are his favorite days because those are the days I come to school. He even sits by the word "Wednesday" during his calendar time each day. He has me by the heart for sure.

While I love all of my boys, I love each one differently. They may be brothers, but they are definitely their own individuals. When Kaleb comes to mind I picture hugs, straight-forward answers, and consistency. He needs physical touch, direct questions/responses, and a consistent routine. If that is provided for him, he thrives. He also needs quiet time to be still. I LOVE providing these things for him. I love kissing his chubby, smooth cheeks, snuggling him up in a hug, and just being still. My laid-back, type B personality meshes really well with his. As this school year ends, I look back at our days together at school and home, and count my blessings for each day. He will grow into a second grader over the summer, and more changes will come with that. But for now, he is my 7 year old boy who loves to be with me. I'm so thankful I took advantage of every opportunity I could. I love you Kaleb!

1 comment:

Dusty said...

I love your sweet tribute to Kaleb! I also love your "things I've learned" down the side of your blog! I laughed out loud several times, and nodded along with you at more than I'd like to admit! I love and miss, you sweet friend!